Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blogging, objectivity and honesty

I've been avoiding starting my own blog for years, for multiple reasons. Whenever I imagined starting my own blog, I always saw this entry as the first and last. So far, half of that equation has been disproved.

Blogging terrifies me. The idea of writing to a nameless, faceless and countless audience nearly horrifies me. I majored in English, with a focus on writing, and print journalism while I was in college, so my writing experience is extremely well-rounded. I've written pages on pages in workshops, classes, newsrooms, magazines/journals, various employers and of course in my own journals. I've always directed my writing at professors, classmates, colleagues, experts or myself. A blog is the only setting where it seems absolutely impossible to identify an audience, or determine whether there is one at all.

Without a direct audience, it has been impossible for me to pick a theme, and I am clinging to the notion that a specific theme is not necessary. The only other blog I ever wrote thealtproject.blogspot.com, was hyper-focused on a specific task in a specific time frame. Here, I'm not exactly sure what will bloom from Rose Wood Prose. Without a particular audience to point to (other than Chris Matarazzo, at the  moment, who has been an unknowing guide to me for years), the only real theme I can note is the writing itself.

This is my attempt to share my humanity and humility, as well as my passion for the written (typed) word. I spent so many years in formal settings, with specific requirements, word counts and agendas that have shaped me into the writer I am today. I’ve been taught to write about writing in order to learn how to write objectively. I embraced the idea of arguing both sides so thoroughly that my biggest challenge is writing any type of opinion piece because I just end up arguing with myself. Most of my journalism colleagues have thrown the concept of objectivity right out the window. Many consider true objectivity to be fiction in itself.

I enjoy the thought of objectivity and the idea that people may still value arguments free of opinion. However, an honest opinion is hard to find and a well-researched one even harder. So, as a disclaimer, because I have no idea who may be reading this now or in the future, I believe every word I say, and I apologize if you are offended, but do not apologize for saying it. There. Phew.

As noble as a completely objective writer may seem, I'm tired of trying to be objective. Here, I will just be honest.

2 comments:

  1. I'm still readin'! :)

    As far as audience, I think writing might be an excellent focus, but don't limit yourself too much. You could easily fall into the category of "literary blog" ot "litblog." See "Books, inq" and "Quid plura?" for examples . . . oh, and "zmkc" is another good one. "zmkc" is a great example because she is an excellent writer and often writes about literature, but she also writes some sweet and very funny personal essays. After all, this is for you to express yourself. The world is your audience -- show them what goes on in Maddy world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on it! Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete