Monday, April 25, 2011

Technology Tantrum

Wireless technology is supposed to connect our lives through our devices. Gotta be smarter than the device, though, right?

I spent half of my day on the phone with Verizon tech support, figuring out why my internet was going to be down for two days because I wanted to add a land line (who does that anymore, anyways?), so I guess it's my own fault. Representative after representative told me it was a hopeless cause, that I'd have to live two whole days without internet access. I panicked. How could I survive two whole days?! How did those cavemen do it? Finally, a sympathetic woman answered my distress call to be connected.

A few phone calls and quite a few hours later, my internet is finally running. So is my new landline. It's as if the sparks from slamming all those rocks together finally made a little flame.

Now, on to the printer. It's a brand new wifi printer, copier, scanner and fax machine. I've got the faxing and copying down. The scanning and printing works on one of the two computers (my fiance's computer, of course), but the wifi is a never ending battle of connecting and reconnecting LAN wires and reconfigurations that set my head spinning. I'm giving up on my technological tussles for the evening, but I still can't help but feel defeated by all of my devices.

I am a member of Generation X, but I feel like a baby boomer. My exposure to computers and technology began before elementary school, and I excelled at all classes, but I can't figure out this darn printer. I can design a Web site, a brochure, an entire news section, but I can't make my wireless printer do its wireless trick. With some rest, a fresh approach and a reboot of all devices, I'll be able to figure out to connect all of the members of my home network. If not, they just might be the perfect materials for a nice warm bonfire.

No comments:

Post a Comment