Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's Been Too Long

It's been too long since I've posted anything because I'm so scared of having nothing to say. And in reality, I'm going to continue with that struggle. Nothing I say, it seems, matters in the grand scheme of things. But if I stay silenced, that's not doing any good, either. Here's to hoping that maybe at least some type of expression can get my by. So, for a poem, untitled:


I look at my books and I feel love.
Perhaps if it is lost, I shall look to them again.
The letters and colors blend together
Like the most beautiful compilations
Of shades on a flower petal.
My heart sings for poetry.
My fingers ache to communicate
Intricate words with tremendous meaning.

I wonder, if I were to die at 24,
Would anyone remember me as a poet,
Or even as a writer at all?
Or would I just be another American
Lost in the pursuit
Of a fancy dream that no longer exists?

The restraints are lifted,
Momentarily I wrack my brain for something
Substantial
Or nothing at all.
I can feel the chill of the rain
From my desk and the moisture
On these keys.
I don’t enjoy the shade of the clouds
With the darkening of the sky.
It makes the leaves look flat.

Is it worth it to be honored posthumously?
I guess I’ll never really answer the question,
Nor can anyone else.
I don’t admire
Every single writer the critics proclaim
to be the best voice of the country/age/genre/bullshit,
But it is the universality of expression
That makes them all at least share something.

I think it was easier to be a poet
During Romanticism,
While conditions were much worse,
Things were much simpler
And the mind had more freedom to make them complex.
Now poets try to do the opposite,
Simplify the complex.
But the simplest human endeavors
Can prove to be the most complicated
When reviewed under a microscope
Or philosophic dissection.

No comments:

Post a Comment